Limited edition print of the historic Carroll Depot by artist Clint Hansen of Audubon, IA.
The 1896 Chicago & North Western Depot was designed by Charles Sumner Frost, a noted Chicago architect who designed 200 rail depots for the Chicago & North Western Railroad in the Midwest. He also designed the Chicago Navy Pier and Navy Pier Terminal building in 1916. Construction of the Depot was completed in 1896. It served as the railroad’s showpiece in west central Iowa for many years. The last passenger train stopped in Carroll in 1959. Local leaders began efforts to save the depot in 1990. The Depot Committee narrowly protected the building from the railroad’s wrecking ball, and then negotiated with the Union Pacific to have the building donated. The ground underneath the Depot is under a 99 year lease with the railroad. Exterior renovation was completed in Fall 2004 and interior renovation in 2007. The Depot has housed the Carroll Chamber of Commerce and Carroll Area Development Corp. since 2007 and will house them well into the future. The Depot is one of the few remaining historic “public” structures in Carroll with National Historic Register status.
Prints were produced as a fundraiser for the $1.7 million renovation project. Proceeds go to the continual up-keep of the depot and courtyard.
Artist: Clint Hansen of Audubon, IA
Size: 22" x 28" (unframed)